Friday, February 10, 2012

To Read or Not to Read

Hobby of the day: Reading

I love to read! I am an avid reader. My dad got me into reading and my mom too, but more my dad.  I was read to every day and night when I was little.  My mother was an elementary art teacher now art professor and she writes and illustrates children's books- so there was always a plethora of books within my reach. 
 I love introducing my students to new books and sharing my favorite stories with them.  I especially love introducing them to something that isn't Junie B or Fancy Nancy.  Hot Wheel books and Lego books were not the big rage when I was little.  Where are the Laura Ingles Wilder books? What about the American Girl books, when there were only 3 girls, Kirsten, Samantha and Molly? Now there are like 10! Actually I don't even know that.  
My favorite series that I read in elementary and middle school were Nancy Drew- my father and I would read them together or we'd trade books once we were finished. I also loved C.S. Lewis the Chronicles of Narnia and the Hobbit trilogy. One of my favorite past times was reading with my dad.

I love anything Chris Van Allsburg, love Maurice Sendeck (Where the Wild Things are), David Weisner, Lois Ehlert, Mercer Mayer.... I really love children's books if you can't tell.......


Some of my last favorite Non Fiction books were: 
  • Seal Team Six
  • Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
  • Look me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
  • Same Kind of Different As Me
Some of my Favorite Fiction books are:
  • Harry Potter- All
  • Kristin Hannah- Anything
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Emily Griffin Novels- Author of Something Borrowed
  • Sophie Kinsella- Author of Confessions of a Shopaholic


Anyway..... the reason for my post, other than recommendations for books is: One of my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E authors is coming to town! She just published her latest, Home Front....so far I have only cried twice.  I usually cry repeatedly throughout her books. I always cry when it comes to relationships good or bad haha.  I guess I put myself in those situations. When I saw P.S. I Love You - dragged the hubby to see it I cried the WHOLE time.  Of course now I own it and I read the book....I came out of the theater could barely see because my eyes were so puffy and red and Gary's shirt was very wet.  Can't wait to see The Vow! I'm sure I won't have much time to talk to Kristin Hannah, but at least I get to meet her and get her to sign my book and tell her I love her writing!!! SO EXCITED!


What are some of your favorite books to read? Both adult and childrens?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...