Thursday, February 23, 2012

Foodie

Hobby of the day: Cooking
For some reason, both Gary and I have been wanting to cook meatballs lately. I don't know if it's because we've seen commercials or TV shows with them.  Did they make meatballs on Top Chef?  By the way we love that show.  I am so amazed at what they can do on the spur of the moment. I'd be so lost and overwhelmed. I guess that's why I'm not a chef.  They make beautiful food that is so complex. You have to have some knowledge of chemistry with what works with what, etc...
We are trying to be healthier with our cooking and eating habits, so I decided to make chicken meatballs.  I looked at a couple of recipes. One from food network by Giada and the other on Smitten Kitchen's blog.  I love that Smitten Kitchen adds pancetta to her meatball. I love pancetta which is an Italian bacon.  We use it in a lot of our cooking.  Hard decision, but I ended up going with Giada's. I've never made orecchiette pasta, but she always talks about it, so here goes nothing.  Ok, couldn't find orecchiette so I'm making farfalline.
You can find the recipe here.  The nice thing about making meatballs is that you can freeze them and reheat them whenever you need. I did tweak some of the ingredients. I wasn't going to buy the flat leaf parsley, but oddly enough we already had some.  I forgot to buy the basil, ugh I know it's the perfect add on to any Italian inspired meal.  I thought about making my bread crumbs from scratch, like G does, but instead spent my time running outside on this beautiful 60 degree day!
 I actually got my PR in my 6 miler and I even stopped at a few lights and helped a lost soul find his way.


 It ended up being pretty delicious. I loved the fresh little mozzerella balls that got all warm and gooey. I love cheese by the way. The cherry tomatoes added a nice balance too. All in all I would say it was a success!



1 comment:

  1. We should be neighbors...you'd be such a good influence on me!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...