Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Quiche

Hobby of the day: Cooking

I've always been a fan of quiche, whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner. My mother used to make a delicious quiche lorraine.  So, why not try? I mean cheese? Bacon? Who doesn't love those things? I am a HUGE cheese lover. I couldn't find swiss cheese, but they did have buy one get one bags of craft cheese, as well as string cheese.  So, yours truly came home with 6 bags of different cheeses. It was a toss up between colby-jack and 5 Italian cheese. I chose to use the colby-jack. The recipe calls for sauteed onion, but of course, I love garlic, so I chopped up was like an elephant size clove of garlic.  Breath is kicking now! It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself, and Gary went back for seconds, so that's always a good sign!

Recipe: Quiche Lorraine
Ingredients
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt ( I didn't add salt because the cheese and bacon are salty enough)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  2. Line pastry with a double layer of aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 4 to 5 minutes more, or until crust is set. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). I used already pre-made Betty Crocker dough- next time I will make it from scratch
  3. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon grease in skillet. Cook onion in reserved drippings until tender, add chopped garlic; drain and set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk and salt. Stir in bacon and onion. In a separate bowl, toss cheese and flour together. Add cheese to egg mixture; stir well. Pour mixture into hot pastry shell.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. If necessary, cover edges of crust with foil to prevent burning. Let quiche cool for 10 minutes before serving.


  

Mmmm..mmmm....good. G said it was even better than my mom's, but I won't tell her. Shhh!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...