Thursday, March 22, 2012

Foodie: Eggplant Rollatini

Hobby of the Day: Cooking


Was living on the edge today and decided to go vegetarian....or just a little healthier....though one might say after all the cheese I put on there, it isn't quite as healthy.  What can I say, I love cheese! Plus Harris Teeter was having a buy 2 get 3 free packs of cheese. As if I could pass that up?! Guilty.

I decided to try and make eggplant rollatini.

I shaved off the skin and then sliced 1/4 inch thick, then I let sweat for about 1/2 an hour, rinsed and patted dry.
I dipped the eggplant in two egg whites and then in Italian bread crumbs (added some extras, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese). Then I broiled 5 minutes on each side to crisp up- I sprinkled each side with EVOO too. 

 Mixed up the low fat ricotta with chopped spinach- the recipe called for prosciutto, but I wanted to make it a little healthier so added spinach. I also added sauteed garlic to the mixture.



Then, spread a thin layer of the mixture on top of the eggplant, roll loosely and place open side down. 







Top with pasta sauce- again I don't like a lot, so I only added lightly enough to cover the eggplant, but not too much more. Add lots of mozzarella, bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melty and browning.





And Voila!




Got the recipe here....did a few tweaks....















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...