Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Day After.....a few days later


Waking up was P-A-I-N-F-U-L the day after the race! I had been still for so long poor muscles....ugh. Perhaps I didn't stretch as well as I should have after the race.  I probably should have iced....grrr.. regretting that now.

People become very religious with their running habits, both before, after and during.  Trust me, when I find something that works I will stick to it.  It's interesting, the morning that we were walking to the half we were passing people who were running/warming up. They were fairly far away from the stadium.  Now I know that I know warm ups are important to get your muscles ready. Usually when Gary and I run, we start off and then we stop to stretch, then continue on our way.  I thought, there is no way I'm going to do some warm up running before I commit to 2 plus hours of running. Was that my bad? Plus there wasn't a whole lot of area to warm up or stretch and once we were in our corals, forget it! So I did a few stretches and then well we ran...surprisingly I didn't feel awful, perhaps it was the adrenaline, the pure excitement, the desire to beat the person in front of me, who knows.  I am very thankful that I did well. 




I had bought the whole Gatorade Series, 01 prime, 02 perform, 03 recover, sadly they don't have a ton of flavors. We love the blue Gatorade. I know blue isn't a flavor. I also like the riptide rush, which is purple.  The Prime came in berry flavored and is full of Carbs and +B Vitamins to be drunk right before exercise. The perform comes in more flavors and should be consumed during exercise, not a problem since I had a hydration belt.  I chose the low calorie glacier freeze one full of electrolytes and carbs. Then I got the Recover, flavor mixed berry, not to be confused with just berry.  Again, full of electrolytes and carbs- protein to rebuild.  However, come race morning, I was little nervous to do the prime because I hadn't before, so I consumed a pack of powerbar energy blasts in raspberry flavor. If you know me, you know I love my gummies. It just seems that when I have to force myself to consume something, it just doesn't seem as good, but these weren't bad and they didn't hurt me- huge plus! 

PowerBar Energy Blasts gel filled chews are a great choice for use before or during moderate and high-intensity exercise. They're formulated with PowerBar® C2MAX dual source energy blend, a 2:1 glucose to fructose blend found to deliver 20–50% more energy to muscles than glucose alone and improve endurance performance by 8%.*

Fueling up right can make a big impact on how you feel and perform, no matter what you’re tackling. During activities lasting more than 1 hour, have 1–3 pieces every 10 minutes. You can also have a packet of Energy Blasts gel filled chews 30–60 minutes before exercise to top off energy stores. (Six Energy Blasts gel filled chews are the energy equivalent of one PowerBar® Energy Gel.)

PowerBar Energy Blasts gel filled chews — key features:
  • Great tasting energy chews with a refreshing liquid gel center
  • Provide more energy to muscles with C2MAX
  • Packed in a convenient resealable pouch
  • No preservatives or artificial flavors
*Currell K, Jeukendrup A. Superior endurance performance with ingestion of multiple transportable carbohydrates. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2008;40:275–281.

Nutrition Facts

Serving size 1 pouch (9 pieces)
Calories 190
Calories from fat 0
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Amount/Serving
% DV*
Total Fat 0g
0% 
Sodium 60mg
3% 
Amount/Serving
% DV*
Total Carb 45g
15% 
  Sugars 36g
 
Protein 3g
 
  • Vitamin C 10% •

Ingredients

C2 MAX ENERGY BLEND (SUGAR, GLUCOSE SYRUP FROM WHEAT, INVERT SUGAR), WATER, GELATIN, 2% OR LESS OF: RASPBERRY PUREE, RASPBERRY JUICE CONCENTRATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), CITRIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, MALIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, GLYCERIN, CARRAGEENAN, LOCUST BEAN GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS, SORBITOL, COCONUT AND/OR PALM KERNEL OIL, CARNAUBA WAX, BLACK CARROT JUICE COLOR.
MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO PROCESSES MILK.  [source]
  


Many people love the GU. They have many different products from gels, to gummies to powders for your drinks.   Lots of CHOMP flavors, but I purchased the strawberry ones with caffeine for that extra little boost.  In the end I ended up with one pocket of CHOMPs and one pocket of Jelly Belly Watermelon Sports beans (with caffeine).  So many people had the gels, they were in pockets, on their running belts, etc. I think it could be a texture thing for me, but I have trouble with those, but to each their own. You find what works for you.  They are a lot easier to "get down" than gummies because you have to chew chew chew and swallow and gummies do tend to make me salivate more. I also like shotblocks- strawberry flavored of course.


I also noticed that they were handing out salt packets before the run....they also had them at one of the water stations.  Obviously I am new to this so I looked it up. Apparently they help with cramping on long runs, specifically in the leg area. Since you sweat a lot more, especially during long runs in warm weather you need to replenish your electrolytes/salt- makes sense.....Some people do salt tablets instead, or you can do a salt shot....
  • Just empty a salt packet (from McDonald's or other fast food place) onto your hand.
  • Lick the salt off your hand.
  • Drink some water immediately after.
  • If you're doing a run longer than 2 hours, you may want to take another one halfway through your run/race.[source]
How do your survive after? I stretch and rehydrate, sometimes nap. After the RNR I drank a bottle of water and had a thing of chocolate milk, courtesy of Refuel with Chocolate Milk.  That's one of those things that I started to do after exercise. YUM! A lot of times I also ice, although I seemed to forget this time- whoops.



What's your favorite energy of choice while running?


Do you take salt packets before/during a long/warm run?

What's your after?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...