Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What I Ate Wednesday






Tonight was another grilling night. Like I said, I want to do lots of grilling this summer, especially with fresh food. Not that we do a lot of grilling with un-fresh food.
 
Dinner was on me tonight and consisted of grilled steak, grilled sweet potatoes and grilled corn-on-the-cob! I LOVE summer, have I said that already?!
Grilled Corn-on the-Cob


In the past we've had some issues with grilling corn, it burned or the corn doesn't cook fully.  This time I soaked the corn, husk and all- this way the corn steams itself.  The husk may burn and can even catch on fire, but man, the corn was good tonight! Hip- Hip- Hooray!   Cook for 30 minutes, rotating every 5 minutes or so. 
I know, it looks completely charred and dryed out- but it WAS NOT!


 
Grilled Sweet Potatoes!


For the sweat potatoes, I skinned them and sliced them.  Then to speed up the grilling process I heated them for 5 minutes in the microwave. Sometimes our veggies, specifically the potatoes don't fully cook through.  The nice thing is that because the potatoes were hot, the 2 Tbs. of butter melted right quick. I also added 2 Tbs. of brown suger, cayenne pepper(there's my heat- surprise, surprise!), some kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. I then poured them onto aluminum foil and wrapped them up.  Then grilled for 30 minutes 15 minutes on each side. 


For the steak, I prepared this before hand so that it could marinate.  I pounded it a little and then I added EVOO, seasoned salt, garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper. I did this to both sides, then put it in the fridge for about 45 minutes.  We grilled it for about 15 minutes.  We seared it on each side to "lock" in the flavor.  


Everything finished at the same time! I'm so pleased. Nothing had to be left on longer and we were able to eat all the food at the same time. SCORE!

 Different angles!
 Also, I forgot, cherries for dessert---mmmmm


Oh and I also made fresh mint tea, per Gary's request.  He didn't even end of drinking it. Yours truly did. Ahh perfectly refreshing on a 100 degree day!


Look who also wanted some of the deliciousness! 

What are some of your Summertime favorites?!
 
What's your favorite thing to grill?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...