Friday, May 11, 2012

Meatloaf Cupcakes?!?

Hobby of the Day: Cooking

I am a fan of Skinny Taste's blog.  Healthy eating, yummy recipes and not too difficult to make.  I found a recipe on her site for meatloaf cupcakes with whipped potato frosting. And....since you know I love cupcakes I thought why not try a savory cupcake?! 

We had all the ingredients except for the zucchini.  I actually tweaked the recipe a whole lot.  I also am not a fan of onion unless it is really cooked. If it is crunchy then it's a no go, I guess I just like the flavor of onion, but onion powder just doesn't do it like the real deal sometimes.  

This is her recipe here. This is my alternated version.
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 tsp of coarse salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper 
1 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning
1 egg
1/4 cup ketchup (I added less, next time I will go with BBQ sauce)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 slice of bread chopped up (I used my husband's 15 grain bread, which was healthy and all, but some of the grains added a weird texture) next time I might try Italian bread crumbs- I'll let you know how that goes

* for a few of the little "cupcakes" I added a little heat with some cayenne pepper, you know how I love that spice
Directions:
1) Mix all ingredients up and add to cupcake baking cups
2) Make sure to flatten and not fill higher than the baking cup
3) Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 18-20 minutes or until done
4) Remove from muffin tin and set aside
* Here's where I cheated (I know, GASP) I didn't make my mashed potatoes from scratch. I just didn't have the energy or time to do it....I know, lame excuse. Next time I promise I will do better.
I did, however pipe my mashed potatoes through my icing bag. I think they looked pretty cute and pretty scrumptious.  And personally, I liked the cayenne ones better. 
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...