Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Who's looking forward to the Olympics?!

July 27 Opening Ceremonies- Can they top Beijing?!
While watching the NHL playoffs today I saw a commercial for the 30 Greatest Olympic Moments.

I love the Olympics. I am amazed by the talent that these athletes have and how young some of them are.  They start training so young it's incredible.  My all time favorite ice skater was Kristi Yamaguchi, who also won Dancing with the Stars:-) I was also a huge fan of the 1996 US female gymnast team.  The one with Kerri Strug, Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes, Dominique Moceanu, Amanda Borden, Jaycie Phelps and Amy Chow, the one where Kerri Strug lands her vault and sticks it on ONE foot! ( I couldn't do that if you paid me a million dollars and I had two good feet!) Determination, courage, strength and perseverance are several words that come to mind when I think about that team. 

 I watched the 30 moments and I have to say that Kerri Strug's routine and her accomplishment literally brought tears to my eyes.  The phrase "Never Give Up" comes to mind.

So did this video of Derrick Redmond at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.  Perseverance is a word that comes to mind. I have never pulled a hamstring before, but I have strained it and it's painful. I can only imagine the disappointment you would feel after training your whole life for this event and then to pull your hamstring in the semi-finals, but he gets up! He keeps going and refuses help, again this is where I start to get teary eyed. Then his father comes to help him cross the finish line!

I think Usain Bolt is incredible in track too, he is ridiculously fast and I look forward to seeing him compete this year. I was a little saddened that he broke Michael Johnson's 12 year record, since he was one of my favorites too.  

Michael Phelps is pretty buck too, yup buck! LOL, his accomplishments at the 2008 Olympics were incredible. I remember watching the mens 4x100 free relay and getting so worried (when I get nervous I get really cold-werid right?)I was literally standing up cheering.  Actually, re-watching the video also caused me to cheer, it was so exciting. Even as a sprinter, 4x100 relays do not give you a lot of time to make-up for lost time, or a lot of room to gain on the leaders.  That was quite an intense relay. I like relays too because it is team effort compared to individual.
I do have to admit that while I am glad that Team USA won all around best female gymnast, I do wish that it was won by cute little Shawn Johnson and not Nastia.

Too bad we don't know all the official teams until July 1.  It's also a shame that the men's soccer team didn't make it, but at least the women are in. Rooting for Abby Wombach and Hope Solo!


Will you be watching the Olympics this summer?

What are you especially looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...