Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Grilling- that's what's up!

So excited that grilling season has begun!  We don't actually have our own grill. It would be great if we did, but the condo building we live in has a communal one. I am pretty sure that we are the only ones who use it.  It's great because we are on the ground floor and really close to the grill.  


Gary is the grill master, but we both create the yummy creations.  You should look at our spice cabinet, well actually it's more like containers right now. I would love to be more organized, but we just don't have the room to get all the fancy schmancy things from Bed Bath and Beyond.  On my next to buy list is a vegetable/seafood grilling basket.  


Last night we had grilled chicken tenderloins, couldn't find thinly sliced chicken, but the tenderloins worked equally well.  Gary seasoned them with, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and EVOO.  We let them marinade in the fridge for about 30 minutes, surprisingly the chicken soaked it right up.  


I have never been a fan of asparagus ever since I was little.  My mom would make it frequently since she and my dad were a fan of it.  Maybe it is the way that she prepared it, I dunno.  I hated it, I would cut it up super small chew real quick without tasting and swallow real quick followed by a swig of milk (it does a body good).  Up till about now at 29 years of age I haven't chosen to eat it.  The other night we were at a friends and they threw some asparagus on the grill, being polite I took some and YUM!  So I decided to try it myself.  


Recipe:
1) 1 bunch of asparagus washed with ends cut off.  
2)  2 tbs of EVOO
3) 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt to taste
4) 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
5) 2 cloves of garlic chopped


Add all ingredients into a Ziploc bag and shake, let marinade 20-30 min.  


** This is when I wished we had a grilling basket.


I skewered the asparagus which was supposed to help with the flipping of the veggie with the hopes that none would fall through the grates---which did work.....but.....I used metal skewers, thus when Gary flipped them one of the ends flipped up and landed on his wrist. Metal+heat+ skin= burn!  

Did I enjoy the asparagus?! YES! It was flavorful, crispy, good....too bad it makes your pee smell not so great.  Guess I've found a "new" veggie to enjoy. 


I placed our chicken on some lettuce, as an edible garnish, topped the chicken with some shredded 5 Italian Cheese mix and added some fresh avocado on top-mmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...