Friday, April 13, 2012

To the Gym!

After a 3 month hiatus, I have returned to the gym. *Gasp*


Workout:
Weights: triceps and biceps
Treadmill: 3.5 miles/ incline: 1.0/ speed: 5.8
Elliptical: 30 minutes/ resistance 9


When I began training for my first half marathon I decided to put my membership on hold.  Even with a teacher's "discount" our gym membership is way expensive. Guess that's what we get for living on Capitol Hill. For my training I did a lot of out door running, I am just not one of those people who enjoy treadmill running.  There is just so much more to see while running.  I am a HUGE people watcher.  I also added Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, level 3, as well as other ab and core routines and of course burpees.  At some point I would like to try yoga too.  I hear that it does good things for runners.  I have done it before, but I lack flexibility.  I like to be good at things that I do, not perfect, but I would like to at least look like I know what I am doing.


Not going to the gym was okay by me anyway.  I tend to prefer to run in the cold anyway, so not going to the gym during those winter months doesn't really bother me. Plus, I hate heat, not as in sun heat, but as in opposite of AC. Our gym pumps it out during the winter months and it makes it hard for me to breath, dries out my eyes and my nose, overall just very unpleasant.  
At this point I'm trying to increase my speed while running. I just seem to be very consistent with my speed, never super slow and never super fast.  I know I will never win a race, but for my personal goals I just want to improve my PR.  I started off on the treadmill at a 5.4,  I have a quick turnover, which is good and bad.  I increased up to 5.8 and lengthened my stride, it make me feel like I wasn't even moving quite as fast, I probably could have even increased my speed more, but we'll work at it one day at a time.  


I then moved over to the elliptical for a little cross training.  The guy next to me was trying to destroy his machine.  He had no resistance on his machine and was going as hard as his legs and arms could move. The machine was rocking back and forth. I don't know if he was trying to show off, but seriously, I did almost laugh out loud. 


It feels good to be back at the gym.  Hope to keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...