Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Summertime favorite-mmm

Hobby of the Day: Cooking


I love my crock pot and just recently discovered that I can prepare my chicken in it and not boil it.  What I really needs is a pressure cooker.  That's on my Amazon wish list.  Crock Pot chicken just seems more tender and more flavorful and it's easier to shred.  Some people say to just throw it in and it cooks in its' own juices. I like to add some "extras," carrots, onion if available and some chicken broth or stock to give it a little extra juice to cook in. I hit the button and let the pot go to work.  Then I shred it, if that's what the recipe calls for.  

Tonight's specialty: Chicken Salad
My mother used to make it all the time when I was growing up. It's a comfort food and reminds me a lot of spring/summer.  She would add green grapes and celery, which is what I typically add.  Lately though I've been making it a little more artisan.

kinda looks like cookie batter...


I added cranberries to it this time, some celery and some pecans(should have toasted first-whoops).  I also use Hellman's Light mayo. My mother also always made blueberry muffins with the chicken salad, I don't know why, but it seems to go yummilicious together.  Usually I make the Duncan Hines blueberry streusel muffins, you know the kind with the crispy chucks of sugary goodness on top. Couldn't find them, so instead I made extra large whole wheat blueberry muffins, still Duncan Hines though.....mmm.....



The finished product:



My friend, Jenna, and I had a lunch date today.  Thank goodness that SPRING break has begun! My report card grades were finished early too! My room however, may not have been left in the cleanest condition.  Of course I have left over delicious chicken salad at home, but what do I get when we go out to eat?! Yup, that's right chicken salad, but it's one of my favorite things to get at Lola's on Barrack's Row.  It is on soft bread with melted provolone and bacon- I mean bacon makes everything great right? It's just like fried anything tastes good right? No, ok maybe just me.... our meals came with either fries or salad. We both decided on salads, even though we truly wanted fries, so changed it and one got fries and the other salad, the best of both worlds.  I brought home the other half for Gary, but I'm pretty sure I will be eating it.  


Hope you are having a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...